The Florida Board of Governors (FLBOG), meeting Wednesday at the Florida International University (FIU) campus in Miami, confirmed Florida A&M University (FAMU) President Larry Robinson’s one-year contract extension.
The vote came a month after the FAMU Board of Trustees (BOT) approved Robinson’s contract on the strength of an “above average” performance evaluation.
Under BOG regulations, State University System (SUS) presidents are eligible for one-year contract extensions.
Robinson was appointed president in 2017 following several stints in the interim role. As part of the contract that runs through December 31, 2023, he received a 3.5 percent raise on his $436,436 annual salary.
“Leading Florida A&M University continues to be a high and humbling honor. I look forward to working with our Board of Trustees, faculty, students, staff, alumni and friends in embracing the opportunities and challenges required to continue our legacy of “Excellence with Caring” and elevating FAMU to a top 100 public university. We have accomplished much, but there’s still much more important work to be done,” Robinson said following the vote.
In requesting confirmation of the president’s contract, FAMU BOT Chair Kelvin Lawson cited the University’s numerous accolades during the past year under Robinson’s leadership:
- Achieved another record-breaking year in fundraising, totaling more than $24 million;
- Expanding to more than 50 members in the Industry Cluster (55);
- Setting a record for total research awards, which exceeded $75 million;
- Receiving unprecedented support from the Florida Legislature of nearly $70 million in new funding for infrastructure enhancements, operational support, and student success initiatives;
- Earning a $12.59 million allocation from the Florida Board of Governors’ Performance Based Funding (PBF) model.
“None of this would be possible without the collaborative and innovative work of the University’s exceptional faculty and staff, and the support of alumni and friends,” Lawson said in his letter to the FLBOG. “Our rise in the national rankings, the accolades, and the positive branding are all a testament of our focus on student success and a commitment to executing our strategic plan.”